Friday, May 10, 2013

Lesson 16- Every time a child is born, a mother is born, too


HAPPY KID'S DAY

Every mother has heard this question on Mother's Day or Father's Day:
"But when is Kid's Day?"
And every mother I know has given her version of this answer:
"Every day is Kid's Day."
But today I am telling my kids this is their day, not mine.


I'll tell you why. 
(And it's not because I might get more presents, although I might.)


When I was a girl, I dreamed of becoming many things. A mother was not one of them. Don't get me wrong, I knew I wanted to be a mother. But I never thought I would need training for that.

My mom lived the role of mother like she was born for it. She made it look effortless. Since I was a girl, too. I thought I had this one in the bag.


Imagine my surprise when I gave birth.



No amount of training could have prepared me for what was about to happen. From the moment your tiny form was placed on my belly, I was changed forever. A part of my heart once reserved for parents, first loves and adorable pets opened so wide it took over. This new heart (that seemed attached to all things) governed the rest of my life.

My capacity to say "ooh" and "ah" increased exponentially.


When you smiled for the first time, I witnessed the first smile ever. And when someone hurt you, the pain I felt was physical.
















When your dreams came true, my heart could not be contained.


 

And when you gave birth, I saw the first child born all over again.



It took a lot to make this day so happy. And I I couldn't have done it without you.
Happy Kid's Day, you two!




And thanks, Mom.


"The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new."   Rajneesh













No comments:

Post a Comment